Neurological Care for Pets in Lexington
Our experienced veterinarians at Bluegrass Veterinary Specialists + Animal Emergency in Lexington provide comprehensive medical and surgical care for pets with neurological conditions.
During your appointment, our veterinarians will conduct a thorough neurological exam to determine if and which parts of your pet's nervous system are affected.
After the exam, the vet will discuss the most likely causes of your pet's issues. The exam includes diagnostic imaging services if necessary to determine the exact cause and available treatment which may include medical therapy, surgery, or intensive care.
Common Neurologic Conditions in Pets
Neurological conditions in pets commonly treated by our veterinarians include:
- Intervertebral disc disease
- Encephalitis and meningitis
- Epilepsy, especially difficult to manage or refractory cases
- Brain and spinal tumors
- Syringomyelia/Occipital malformation
- Chronic pain
- Stroke and fibrocartilagenous embolism (FCE)
- Degenerative myelopathy
Veterinary Neuromedical Procedures
- Complete neurologic exam and lesion localization
- CT interpretation
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) collection and evaluation
Veterinary Neurosurgical Procedures
- Hemilaminectomy and ventral slot decompression for IVDD
- Lumbosacral dorsal laminectomy for LS stenosis and cauda equina syndrome
- Nerve and muscle biopsy